Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it's a quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow"...



Monday, May 9, 2011

Cleaning out the Closet...

I clearly listen to entirely too much Eminem. I’m not really cleaning out my closet like his song, but I did pretty much come out of the IF Closet this weekend. It wasn’t the end of the world after all.

 

This weekend was Mother’s Day. We all know how that feels. We see all the commercials on TV, hear them on the radio, see the ads… It sucks. Well this year Facebook took it to a whole new level of suckiness. There was this little campaign for everyone to post pictures of their Mom’s. This of course made me realize that not only am I NOT a Mom, but that my Mom ain’t so great. I have no pictures of us together. There were simply no happy times to snap those pictures. Ugh!

 

Well, something in me just snapped this time. So I posted about my struggle with IF in MY status while everyone else was going on & on about how awesome their children were to them for Mother’s Day. I must say, it was pretty liberating. I learned that not only do I have some very supportive friends & family out there, but that some of those friends are going through the very same struggle! Somehow just knowing that I wasn’t alone helped.

 

Sometimes things get so stacked up and filled up in our closets that we simply have to COME OUT & clean house!

1 comment:

Julie (Peoples) Misisco said...

I thought your post was great. I think about you and your situation a lot, and I keep up with your blog hoping something will change for you. I think more people should do something like you did.

Last year, I had temporary custody of my niece after my sister lost custody of all three of her kids (well, the oldest was 19 at the time and living on his own) and I felt kind of slighted as well that even though I was doing everything a mom would do, she nor anyone else really looked at me as a mom. So, like you, I put a status message up about how ALL mothers should be celebrated that day, regardless of how they came to be there -- through something like adoption (like my in-laws), or like me, through circumstance. Anyone who has a big effect on a kid's life like that, no matter whether they gave birth to the kid or not, should be celebrated.

I hope with all my heart that one day things will work out for you. I'll keep checking back until they do. :)